Tuesday, September 21, 2010

God Truly Knows What's Best


It was only 2 months ago that I found myself wondering where I would be interning. My previous opportunity fell through and I was getting frustrated and anxious to try to find something that I wanted. Notice there, that I was looking at what I thought was best for ME not what God wanted for me.
For a couple weeks, House of Hope kept popping into my mind (as a psychology major, we would call that the unconscious) and I kept pushing it away. Yes, I knew it was faith based and that they do great works for women, but it didn't seem like something I would want.
It took me a while to realize that it wasn't my unconscious telling me to contact House of Hope, but it was God trying to get me to see that this is what HE wanted for me. He had been chasing me for some time, trying to show me that if only I trusted in Him, then I would know what to do with my life.
So I finally let Him catch me at a time where everything seemed to be going wrong. I figured if God really wanted this then I would do it. I contacted House of Hope through email about the possibility of an internship (I must admit part of me still didn't want to do it, but it's really hard to say no to God). When Lenchen emailed me back saying that we might be able to work something out, I figured, "Okay. Might as well."

After weeks of emailing, I finally met the woman behind the typing and was instantly amazed. God truly knows best. This woman made me feel right at home and comfortable not only with being there, but also with talking openly about me and my life. She had me talking about how I had repaired my relationship with my dad in the last year and how my mother had left when I was 5 and returned years later when I was 17. Things I had never talked to anyone but a counselor about, were talked about with this woman only 10 minutes after meeting her.

God truly does have a sense of humor. For such a long time, I have been believing that what I wanted to do in life is work with teens and I was going to do this my own way. Now He has me stepping back and listening to Him. Through working at House of Hope, I have become much happier than I have been in a long time, and I've only been there for 2 1/2 weeks!

During my internship, I will be helping with events, attending the annual banquet, attending a Thursday night class for women, attending a class on how to have difficult conversations and interacting with many different people.

So far, I have attended the Thursday night group: 3:12 and have had the chance to meet some women in my age group who are truly sold for God and I absolutely love it. I love the women I work with, and all the women I've met through my internship so far. I have heard stories about how women feel as if their life has been changed by House of Hope and how coming to House of Hope saved them and it's just amazing to see God working in the lives of so many women!

I've also gotten the opportunity to talk with one of the residents about her life story and how she became saved after being at House of Hope. I love it!

And to add to it, God has shown me that once I stop and let Him have the reigns that He will make Himself known in so many ways. He has led me to Lenchen, Celeste, and back to Melody, all women who are absolutely in love with God and want Him to work in their lives and in the lives of women all over! Through this He has also led me to a church just up the street from school that, for the first time since starting college, has made me feel as if I am home, as if I am in the presence of God, the wonderful Father who made me to be His lamb, His servant, and the one who can bring those around me to Him through living my life Hopelessly Devoted to Him.


"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." ~Jeremiah 29:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment